Sunday, July 20, 2014

Standardized tests fatigue my soul and other thoughts!

Yes, that's right. Standardized tests fatigue my soul. When we were first asked to examine the sample tests, my first thoughts were: "Ugh, I don't want to do this. Please, make it stop. I'm already tired. I don't care." I was not exactly prepared to take any tests even if they were only samples. I was already sitting on a throne of tiredness. It was late in the afternoon. Most of the time, I'm pretty checked out as it is at this point in the day. I want to go home. I am weary, and the last thing I want to do is take some stupid test that means nothing to me.

But, let's examine the actual sample test itself. After mustering up the last amount of care power I had left for the day, I grudgingly decided to check out the sample test for 12th grade ELA. I read the first question and thought: "Where in world is this information coming from?" It's like the question came out of left field. I didn't even know how to answer the awkward question. After staring at the test for what seemed like forever, I figured out that the texts that pertained to all the questions were located on the left side of the screen. This was beyond confusing to say the least. There were two texts and I had to scroll a ton to see both of them. At this point, I became angry and frustrated. I gave up. So, I kind of screwed around, moaned, and groaned until Rory directed us to stop doing the activity thankfully.

When I think about standardized tests in general, I typically get frustrated. Standardized tests do not account for creativity, ambition, curiosity, or persistence. They do not assess the understanding of truth, faith, love, hope, or any other meaningful part of the human condition. These tests are simply a hoop to jump through, nothing more. They're ultimately meaningless and dehumanizing exercises that accomplish nothing. How does reading some random blurb about random nonsense really matter or demonstrate my full competency? Life doesn't happen in a little bubble. Standardized tests are examining a bubble of knowledge or ability a person has. It's not a fair assessment. They fail to examine or assess the totality of what a human being is capable of. Ultimately, what's the point?  

I know I rambled for a bit. But, if I feel this way, certainly my students will feel similar or even worse. How can I expect my students to care especially since I honestly don't? Does this make me a bad person? Why should student performance on such tests be tied to my evaluation? The questions don't necessarily matter. What I must do as an instructor is teach the means by which to do well on standardized tests. If students can analyze primary historical documents, interpret meaning and context, write effectively, and think critically, surely they will have the tools to be successful in life and on a test.  I guess that's my hope.

On a completely different note, I loved the exercise that inhibited our abilities. It challenged me to be succinct and get my point across quickly. Overall, I think I performed admirably given the circumstances. Brevity has its merits.

6 comments:

  1. I thoroughly agree - standardized tests are painful to put up with and they measure only a fraction of what goes into "intelligence" and "knowledge." On a similar note, in the last few weeks (as the MAC program has picked up), I have found myself admiring the educational benefits of group work. On Sunday, I spent two and a half hours working with two of our classmates on our EPIC presentation for our Educational Psych class.

    For one thing, I never stay focused for two and a half hours straight. Alone, maybe I'll stay focused for 30 minutes, get some good work done, and then be throughly mentally exhausted. But, in a group setting, I don't want to waste my group mates' time, so I find it within myself to continue working. So - that was an exercise in testing the power of my discipline (I found it's friggin powerful.)

    Secondly and perhaps more inspiring, however, was the power of the group to collaborate to come up with an activity that is truly creative, which I believe will be truly engaging for the class. By brainstorming together and building our ideas off of each other's, we came up with a truly excellent idea.

    So, at the end of two and a half hours, we produced an engaging presentation that I think will improve our classmates' understanding of the topic. But in addition to this, I also realized a) the power of my own self-discipline and b) practiced working with others who have different working and learning styles than me.

    I'd say I learned and produced a ton in that short time.

    Meanwhile, I could have spent two hours on a typical high school standardized test, finished exhausted, and forgotten the information within a month.

    I'm not trying to bash the current educational system, and I'm not trying to be negative. I certainly think American public schools have some very redeeming qualities. But I do want to point out the immense educational power of group projects. Realizing this, I think standardized tests should therefore have a limited place in our educational system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree that standardized tests do not test creativity, citizenship, honesty, or a million other things, they also don't contend that they do. We have to realize that it isn't the tests, but the reasons we admit people and what our culture thinks education is for is what we should take a look at. We should do a backwards approach to it by seeing what we want to be the end result of education, and then see how we can assess people in an effective and useful way. Also, about the computer testing, what if the people who created the tests (who really sucked at it) changed it in such a way that it was user friendly? I don't know, I guess instead of dismissing change, let's try to make it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your connection to a larger cause! Though you are correct in saying standardized tests do not claim to measure other forms of intelligence (i.e. creativity, citizenship, etc.), I think the fact that we, as a society, tend to put so much emphasis on these types of tests. We certainly seem to value ACT scores over other forms of assessment. I think this further supports your idea that it is a broader, cultural issue. Maybe there needs to be some reflection on everyone's part. It is easy to denounce standardized testing, but this does no good if we replace it with a different test, but ultimately with the same fundamental basis. I agree with you that we need to consider what we would like to assess in its place. Its one thing to call for change, but having no alternative solution in place is a scary thought.

      Delete
  3. I agree with your plan to teach your students the skills to test well rather than the content. After being frustrated with this test, you were able to simply stop taking it without worry of a low score or ridicule for poor performance. Looking back on the test and the desire the students will have to do the same, do you think they will feel different than you? Do you think you could have been taught to better prepare you for taking the test? My first plan was aligned with yours, but the absurd content and context of the test changed my belief. Time for advocacy???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen, I enjoyed your so-called "rant" (probably because I share similar feelings). I agree that standardized tests do not account for many aspects of intelligence that are equally as valuable. I think you said it more eloquently with your, "They [standardized tests] fail to examine or assess the totality of what a human being is capable of." This is well said!

    On the other hand, I would like to pose a question for you? If you believe standardized tests are not are not good assessment tools and should be avoided, how do you propose we evaluate our students? I am wondering how you would suggest we evaluate students to assess if they have learned anything? I don't expect you to be able to answer his fully, but I am curious as to your thoughts as I struggle with these same questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen, I really enjoy reading your blog! I have the same thoughts about standardized test and I think we need to change them. I understand that we need to find a way to asses our students and teachers, but I have to believe that there is a better way. As a teacher, I want to educate my students in a fun and meaningful way. If all I am meant to do is teach to the test then I guess I am in the wrong field. I hope that as we enter into this new profession of teaching we can come up with better ideas and solutions

    ReplyDelete