Saturday, November 8, 2014

Tech in my Placement


The research process of the technology in my placement began early on during the professional development period two weeks prior to students’ arrival. One of the Henry Ford Academy’s chief aims is to foster innovation. Therefore, students and teachers are exposed to a wide-array of technology tools. The use of technology is inevitable, and HFA believes strongly that students must have access such tools in order to gain a full educational experience.

The school has two computer labs: one is PC and the second is Apple. There are three mobile labs that are Google Chromebooks. The administration and teaching staff believe strongly that students should be able to use and have access to all three platforms.  I think this is incredibly important. Technology is not going to simply go away; it must be a part of the educational experience. Future jobs necessitate technology use as well. If a student is unaware of certain programs or applications, inevitably that student will be behind those who do in the job market. Therefore, it is fundamental that students have access to technology. HFA provides that opportunity.

There is a significant amount of software provided as well.  All the major software programming for Apple and Microsoft is available. There is also public access to WiFi. Teachers have access to grading software, online class websites such as Moodle, and email among others. My mentor teacher, for example, uses a wiki space to post all his PowerPoints and homework materials. This is fantastic especially for students who are absent.

HFA just acquired new portable smartboard technology. So, basically any whiteboard can become a smartboard. It’s really cool, but I don’t know how to use it yet. I’m sure it’s easy. I know the teachers are excited to use it. Since this equipment was just acquired, I’m not exactly sure who manufactures it. But, I’m excited to use it as well. Thanks to grants and Title I funding, HFA is able to obtain new equipment.

My only disappointment was not being able to access my blog. Other social media is restricted as well. Hopefully, this will change.

Like I states before, I think technology is incredibly important. I am disappointed to hear that some of my classmates do not have as much access. I know those at TCEC, for example, do not have the same advantages. Technology is not the end all be all of education though. But, it certainly helps out a ton.  

1 comment:

  1. I do agree that learning how to use technology is important. As we get older I feel like we're less inclined to learn about the new stuff coming out and get nostalgic for the technology we used when growing up. I feel like some of the new things, like iPads, for instance, are pretty intuitive and user-friendly, but I bet there's tons more out there that make people frustrated because of the layout, the functions, or troubleshooting.

    That being said, how do students react at your school when the technology is not working that day? I think it's always a possibility since much of our technology depends on having reliable internet and overall, being connected.

    ReplyDelete