So, I'm not too sure if everyone knows about QuizUp! It's an application (app) that you can download for free onto your smart phone that’s extra fun! It's a form of Trivial Pursuit, however, it's one-on-one. You pick from one of the 400+ categories such as History, Literature, Sports, Grammar, Geography, Movies, and all other kinds of things. There are also specific topics for each category.
Once you have selected a topic, you face off against an opponent either a friend or someone random. The match begins! The game involves a series of questions: six normal questions and one bonus question. Each player has 10 seconds to answer the question from the four responses provided. It’s essentially multiple choice. The faster you answer correctly, the more points you receive. There is a maximum of 20 points for the normal questions and 40 for the bonus question. The highest point total is 160. The player with the most points wins, of course.
As you continue
to play, you earn experience points for the categories that you participate in.
Your level increases as you gain experience. The amount of experience points
you receive depends on how well you perform during the match. The highest
amount you can earn for a match is 300 points. There are several factors that
make up your experience score: points scored in the match, finishing bonus, and
victory bonus. Once you reach level 10 in a category and every tenth level
after that you receive a title. The title I’m most proud of is: Pilgrim of the
World for my success in the World Countries category.
You can
download the app from your Play Store and link it with Facebook. It’s fun,
addicting, and educational. I look forward to playing you guys!
So I did it, downloaded and tried out "QuizUp" for the first time. You were right! It is fun, full of information and addictive! I was happy to see that math was included in the category options. Hard math suggested using a calculator and it had random math facts that I like, but I am not certain it is worthwhile for classroom use. It can definitely be more educational that many games, but not part of my lesson planning. Thank you for sharing. Maybe we'll end up head-to-head... back to QuizUp!
ReplyDeleteQuizUp is awesome for me because I am a competitive person. I used to play all the time with my friends and family. I like the fact that there are a lot of different categories to choose from to keep the game fresh. I can see how QuizUp could be useful for testing simple concepts but it wouldn't be an adequate teaching tool for an entire lesson or in depth concept. Regardless, it is still a fun game that has some learning value.
ReplyDeleteSo I'm all for fun and I don't want this post to make me seem otherwise. I consider fun to be valuable for its own sake, so if you find this game a source of fun, more power to you. But if we are deciding whether or not to deem it educational, I'd like to pose the following question: have you ever used a fact learned on QuizUp in any sort of conversation or as logical backup in an argument/debate? Lately I've found myself questioning whether I consider straight fact learning to be educational, and I'm just trying to relate this question to games marketed as educational.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing information about Quiz Up! I'd never heard of it before, and it seems like a very entertaining and interesting way to practice self-care. I'll cherish it forever. Your posts, like your personality, are absolutely delightful. I really enjoyed learning about a game that will not only help me take a break from the rigors of studying, but also have some fun. Thank you so much for helping find another way to spend my limited free time. Look forward to playing against you one day...
ReplyDeleteFellow QuizUp fan,
ReplyDeleteThank you for introducing more people to the wonder of QuizUp through your blog! I have been playing this game for awhile, and, at least for me, it never gets old. My normal opponents are friends and family, but I enjoy matching wits against individuals from all around the world.
Have you thought about how QuizUp could be applied to your future classroom? Sometimes I play QuizUp games in the subject of Biology or Botany as a method of studying these subject areas. Perhaps your students could use QuizUp as some type of assignment? Potentially a group project where students could develop a QuizUp game and challenge each other in class? Oh the possibilities.
Let's play soon,
Jesse